Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ridin' the Metro

I rarely ride the metro (LA's subway system), not that I have anything against it but anyone who lives in LA can tell you that it is basically not very useful. Unless you are going to and from a very specific set of places. For example, I used to ride it often because I lived close to one station and work right across the street from another. This was pure luck though as now, since I've moved, no station is close to me. Anyway, I will leave the lackings of the LA public transit system to another post (it is also possible that I have already blogged about this).

The point of this story is that while performing my civic duty last week I did take the subway to avoid the street traffic going downtown. While on my way back, possibly motivated by the extreme state of boredom my brain had entered into due to said jury duty, I started guessing which stops people would get off. Ok, I realize this might be totally lame but stick with me. I discovered that I'm pretty good at guessing this. I will admit that I was aided by the fact that the metro does not make a ton of stops. But for the most part I was spot on. It probably is not desirable to hone my skills at profiling people judged solely on the way they look but I was really bored.

Data from my careful subway research:

Personality - Subway Stop

Hipsters - Vermont/Sunset

Annoying Tourist Chicks - Hollywood/Highland

Tourist Family - Universal City

Older Business Professionals - 7th/Metro (probably continuing on to the commuter rail)

Young Punky Kids - North Hollywood (probably continuing on to their middle class house somewhere in the valley)

No comments: