Monday, January 4, 2010

NYE resolution number 2.3 has me trying to cook more often. To be honest this has been something I've been making an effort to do more often for awhile. And by cooking I don't mean just heating up a veggie burger but cooking more different and interesting meals. There are a number of issues causing me to not have gotten as far with this goal as I would have liked. One being that it's hard to get into cooking for just one person (this is not going to deteriorate into a sad post about being single, I swear), there are no recipes that come just one serving and it's just not as fun. But I'm learning to get over that. Then there is the fact that I don't have a lot of time to spend on cooking, I get home at 7:30pm and I'm usually already hungry.

But for this coming year I've decided to really get serious and make time to cook things. Since the cooking is part of the lose weight resolution there is even more reason to get my cooking shit together. So to make that happen I've been buying a lot of shit I need to cook with. I've learned from looking at recipes and cookbooks that it would appear I'm severely under utensiled when it comes to cooking. I liked to think that I was more of just an old fashioned cook but clearly I was lying to myself and in order to remedy that situation I have considerably beefed up my cooking arsenal lately. Through purchasing things for myself and from gifts I have added the following items: Mixing bowls, silicone spatulas, extra cutting boards, food processor, hand mixer, spice rack (with spices) in addition to a few other smaller items. I'm hoping that these additions will help to motive me on this mission.

Though I have yet to actually use most of these items (I just got them, jesus, give me time) I've already learned that cooking has a lot of start up costs. There are so many apparatuses. And the cooking world makes you feel like you need all of them. I'm just working on getting the basics right now but every time I look at any type of cooking catalogue I feel intense pressure to buy at least 3 totally random kitchen gadgets I clearly absolutely need in order to even begin to think about cooking anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Less is more - a few good knives, pans, and basic gadgets. I have had a food processor for years and use it maybe 4 times a year and I cook a lot! Don't think of cooking for one - most receips are for 4 servings - cut that in half and you will have some leftover to take for lunch or for another meal, ready and waiting for you when you come home. A crock pot is a good investment - not a big one just a smaller size. Soups and stews (meatless of course) can be preped the night before and then turned on when you leave and be all ready for you when you come home. Oh it is so exciting starting down this road of cooking - can you tell I love it???

Guess who!