Sunday, January 17, 2010

It's raining in LA. It started raining this afternoon and my first reaction was to go and take a walk. Before living in LA the sight of rain would not have motivated me to go outside but in LA where it hardly ever rains and where rain is the only weather we get, when it does happen, I want to walk around in it. It's weird and probably very nonsensical that I think of myself as having taken the weather in other places I've lived for granted. I'm sure it would make more sense to think that I take the weather in LA for granted, since it's all sunshine and warmth. But I don't think that I do - It's hard to not be aware that for most people LA has very enviable weather. But I feel that on the east coast where most of my energy was spent on disliking the cold and snow, I did take advantage of weather that I didn't realize I would miss. Granted, that though I do on occasion miss snow, I would probably be fine if I never had to live through another New England winter. It's the less extreme things that, living in a climate like LA's, I miss. Clearly rain (as that's what got this whole thing started), chilly fall days when the leaves are changing, the first few weeks of spring when it's starting to get warm and gross as some people think it is I miss humidity. Those humid summer days when everyone knows it's perfectly acceptable to do nothing and just lay around and drink cold beer in the afternoon because the thought of actually doing anything is impossible.

These are the things that, living in a perfect climate, you miss. And not because I don't like LA weather (trust me I do) but because sometimes you just want something different, something that perfect weather can't provide. And I know it sounds like I'm bitching and I should just shut up and be happy about all the sunshine and warm weather LA has but, at least for me (and I would venture to say that with time other people would come to this same conclusion), I think there is some perfection that is missing when everything is perfect.

No comments: