Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bitter Post

For those of you who have never worked a menial job, one where you spend your days doing things below your intelligence level I will provide a few examples below of my particular recent experiences.

Note: For anyone not aware, I work in a fairly good sized corporate office in Los Angeles; I am an office assistant/receptionist.


Toner
We live in a modern world. It's hard to imagine that a working professional, with a degree, would need assistance with identifying, locating and installing toner for a basic desk printer. But as it would seem it is clearly a difficult task that involves my advanced knowledge. I have on numerous occasions had to assistant (read: do it for them) people in this basic office task. It usually goes something like this; I receive an email from someone saying their toner is out and that they can't fine more, I respond letting them know where they can locate said toner, they respond again saying they looked but it does not seem to be there, I walk into supply room, find toner right away and bring it to them. There is nothing like having to paint a detailed picture of what a box of toner looks like to make you lose faith in humanity.

Candy
Candy is fairly straight forward thing, it's generally unassuming and easy to handle. I don't think there are many issues in the history of the world that revolve around candy. Of the few that do however, it seems a great number of them take place in my office. We have at the reception desk a bowl of hard candy - just the general stuff, mints, jolly ranchers, caramels, etc. If I had to describe this bowl of candy in one word, given the circumstances, I would say: innocent. But this bowl of candy has been thrown into what I know will be a ridicules discussion that will go on far to long and likely end with little to no resolution, and oh yeah it will be about candy. One of the executives in my office has, for awhile, been suggesting that we get different candy. Apparently they have nothing else to do but think about how the candy selection in the office could be improved - I'm starting to think that I could run a real estate office. So I casually emailed my boss (the office manager) today, saying that this person had suggested that I order a different variety and I just wanted to let her know before I put in the order. This was done as more of a courtesy, as my boss needs to be 'in the loop'. She responds that I should hold off so that she can follow up with the executive to see what specifically she would like to see replaced and what we should order instead. That's right, we need to have a discussion, that will involve higher ups in the company, about which types of hard candy we will be ordering. Who would have thought that Werther's would be such a hot topic

Desk
Some of menial things I do to fill my day are self initiated. I don't have a lot to do, what can I say. Today I spent a part of my afternoon cleaning out the pencil cup on my desk. I discovered that a pen had exploded and now covered most of the pens in a red ink. You might think that the most logical step would be to throw away the pencil cup as they are generally quite cheap, I however chose to clean it. I removed all the pens, washed the cup in the sink and spent a good amount of time cleaning each pen and pencil before I returned it to the cup. Somewhere in this process I was overcome with a feeling of dread as I realized...this is my life. If I ever needed proof that my degree was going to waste, I got just it today.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

There's no shame in not being wasteful Jane. I'm serious. I wish more people would take the time to fix something or clean something to make it work again than thinking 'this isn't worth my time, it's replaceable'.

But, I see what you're saying. Don't be so sad. You have a plan. Plans take time.

Rachel said...

ok above post was about the desk.


Response to "candy". I've found this similar like absurdity at the office I used to work at. It's very sad. People make a big deal about nothing. But it's not you Jane -- it's them. I mean, they're looping in freaken execs -- they're as high up as you get.

Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.bestlouisvuittonwallets.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] The score on the participant who will not receive a position is known as "love". Should the primary scorer scores just as before, then his score will probably be 30 or 30-love, then forty or 40-love if he scores just as before. His succeeding rating is likely to make him win the game. Each site taking part during the community needs to be validated 1st ahead of joining the advert co-op. Google lately took a substantially harder line versus web sites using these type of link networks as well as challenges of acquiring banned has grown. (Hazard Score:nine)Compensated inbound links is a really questionable subject matter from the Search engine optimization sector, due to the fact Google alone is creating a lot of its income from providing little text advertisements following to its search outcomes together with other internet providers.

[b][url=http://www.uggsonsalewebsite.com/]www.uggsonsalewebsite.com[/url][/b] "Shark" in June this 12 months, introduced his retirement specifically, but additionally completed his renowned vocation center, within the 2010-11 year and his NBA career final calendar year, the O'Neill to the Celtics as a result of accidents once the effect effect performed just a total of 37 online games had been played 20.3 minutes, nine.2 points to obtain 4.eight rebounds and one.1 blocks of data. Whilst his capturing can arrive at as much as sixty six.7%, but in addition played out several very low value resulted in his compromised. In their own state has long been a downward craze, but damage troubles, when "Shark" selected to retire..
In order for you your low-priced motor vehicle subwoofer to provide loads of bass, you can expect to typically have to have at the very least 250 watts of ongoing power handling from each sub. This will provide a total of 500 watts of continual bass waves. That is needs to be fulfill your preferences.

[b][url=http://www.cheaplouisvuittonmarket.com/]louis vuitton outlet[/url][/b] Hermes collaborated with Dutch bicycle maker Batavus and adorned an Aged Dutch with meticulously stitched leather accents on saddle, take care of bar grips, plus the frame's two primary down tubes. The 3-speed bicycle maintains its old unique black end. The calfskin leather used in this particular bicycle would be the superior stage.
The text and seemingly go hand in hand. Ladies are by natural means drawn to style and sneakers plenty and lots of footwear. What individuals usually do not identify, even so, is that gentlemen are merely as as girls. To not a lot nevertheless, simply a agency software till the leak stops. You have got to possibly adjust it somewhat right after you run the boat the subsequent time. Finally, put in the remaining 2 lock nuts to accomplish the job..

[b][url=http://www.uggsonsalewebsite.com/]ugg boots uk[/url][/b] Susan Andersenkristin andersenMindi AndersonNina AndersonSarah AndersonWilliam Andersonmarcia andersonWayne AndersonNicki AndersonJoy AndersonDeborah AndersonDeborah AndersonDiane AndersonSusan AndersonDiOndra AndersonTroy AndersonJoy AndersonJulia AndersonJonas AnderssonJose AndradeTammy AndreottiElizabeth AndrewsLisa AndrewsMegan AndriettiCrystal Andrusvince anelloDanny AngMarti AngelUrban AngelSusie AngeliAnge AngladeJeff AnlikerShekhar AnnambhotlaDr John AnneEugene Lemuel AnotaFrank AnselScarlett AntaloczyEric AnthonyLinda AntignaniDebbie AntognoliAlex AntonovskyMadlen AntonowaSvetlana AntonyshynStefanie AntunesDr. Y. Frank Aoielisha apalaweeDonna AppelJodie AppelBarbara AppelbaumMichele ApplebyAlexis AragonPatricia AranaFreddie ArbuthnotDamien ArchambeauSue Archer_Alexander ArchiveEva Arciszewski of Fairfax VA,Carol ArgoBudi AriyantoPerry ArledgeDawn ArmfieldDr.