Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vegan (ish) - an update

Today is the last day of my (half-assed) veganism. I have survived. And I’m happy to say, except for one dinner out that involved a pasta sauce which might have contained some cream, I did not cheat. And that aforementioned pasta dish was the closest to vegan I could get. Though it was not as hard as I thought it might have been it was also not that rewarding. Maybe I was being unrealistic, expecting to feel totally different after 14 days of no seafood and dairy, maybe I should have given it more time.

Though I did not cheat I don’t think a vegan diet is something I could maintain full-time. I like food too much. A pescetarian diet works well for me and I think allows me to eat a pretty healthy balance of vegetarian meals, with seafood on occasion. And also never feel like I’m missing out on anything I want to eat or limiting where I am able to eat.

In addition, despite trying other types of veggie cheese I can say that stuff is not for me. I have found some improvements but when I crave a grilled cheese sandwich, soy cheese just doesn’t do it for me.

2 comments:

Brian S. Snider said...

I was interested to see how this turned out. Back in September Jaime and I attempted to take a visiting friend out to a vegan breakfast in the Los feliz/silverlake area and found it surprisingly difficult. I truly love meat but if I had to I suppose I could go vegetarian. But I don't think I've eaten what would be considered a vegan meal in my entire life. Vegan just seems like way to much work. Great post!

Rachel said...

There's a really delicious vegan pizza restaurant we can go to when you're here if you like. Apparently Seattle has good vegan food. :)