Saturday, April 2, 2011

I think I need to clarify something [a rant]

This has been weighing on my mind for a while and I think I need to break it down, since some people seem to be confused. It’s a subtle difference – I get that, so follow closely. When I hold the door for you (the metaphorical you, of course) I am holding it for you to grab, NOT for you to walk through. The only exception to this is elderly people and those carrying lots of bags. I am not your personal doorman. This seems to be a rampant issue, specifically with the people who work in my building. I view holding the door for the person behind you as a common courtesy; no one likes it when a door shuts in their face. But when woman, and honestly it’s always woman, view that as an opportunity to just walk through the door I’m holding, I start to reconsider. I get that guys often hold the door open for woman to walk through but I’m not hitting on anyone here.

Not to rag on LA but this is really the only place I’ve encountered this door holding dichotomy. Where men are the ones that hold the door and woman are the ones that always get the door held for them. I was actually having a conversation with someone once and when I told them that I hold the door for people, men and woman, they were perturbed and thought it was weird. Which I guess is what leads the ladies in my office building to think that I must be holding the door for them to walk through, rather than just grab, because they are so used to men doing this for them. I can’t explain it but the next time some girl tries to walk through a door I’m holding, I just might shut it in her face.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Anytime I hold a door open for someone behind me and they don't grab it, I let go. If they're going to be foolish, then they're gonna get smacked.