Sunday, July 18, 2010

And people say we don't need affirmative action anymore

While looking into schools (more on that later) I came across the following statistics regarding this particular schools student population:

Students of Color

Undergraduates

  • African-American: 3%
  • Asian-American: 15%
  • Latino/a: 9%
  • International: 4%

Graduate students

  • African-American: 8%
  • Asian-American: 9%
  • Latino/a: 11%
  • International: 16%

While I've always felt people who claimed that minorities were given too much 'special treatment' were delusional, I was still surprised at these stats. We have a lot further to go to bring up those numbers. While I have never been one to stop at just statistics, I think putting faces to numbers is more important, sometimes the cold hard percentages are necessary to show where we are, and remind us where we should be.

No comments: