Saturday, June 19, 2010

NASCAR's Secret

Scene: I am at the gas station, getting gas. My car is very dirty (this is often the case).

Random guy with Nascar shirt: Hello there, I'd like to share with you Nascar's secret for cleaning your car. Please, allow me to give you a free demo of this product.

Me: ::kinda nod ok::

Guy: ::Sprays window with magical cleaning product:: See how it quickly removes the dirt. Is that tree sap?

Me: yeah, I think so.

Guy: ::cleaning window:: So I'm assuming you park your car outside.

Me: ::impatiently waiting for gas to pump:: Yeah.

Guy: See look how clean that looks and it's smudge proof. ::runs fingers over window:: Now we can move onto the door. You just spray a little foam here and rub. ::rubbing at door - not much dirt is coming off:: Well when you car is extra dirty like this you need a little more. ::sprays more foam - keeps rubbing::

Me: ::really wondering what the hell is taking this gas so long to pump:: Yeah, sorry, it's been awhile since I had a car wash.

Guy: I can see that. It's really dirty.

Me: ::sweet jesus it's finished pumping:: Yeah.

Guy: It also takes out scratches ::starts to spray magic foam on a few little scratches:: You know if you leave all this dirt on here for long it will start to eat away at the clear coat and then the paint.

Me: :: moving closer to the drivers side door but the guy is blocking my way:: Yeah, I've heard that before.

Guy: ::getting the hint:: As I said this is a nascar secret and it normally goes for $25 a can but today we will throw in an additional can for...

Me: That's very interesting but it's not really something I'm interested in. ::moving closer to car door::

Guy: ::knowing this must have been inevitable:: Well, thanks for your time.

Me: Thank you ::get in car and shut door::

Frankly, I think his first mistake was approaching the girl with by far the dirtiest car in the place - maybe he was trying to prove a point. He wanted a challenge. But clearly if I don't pay $10 for someone else to wash my car I'm not gonna pay $25 for some foam that I have to use myself.

No comments: