Monday, October 20, 2008

we can't wait

I was reading this article and getting pissed off. I understand that the economic situation is affecting all aspects of business and credit but I see the act of abandoning new clean energy as purely motivated by greed. The fact that oil and natural gas prices are down now makes companies and investors move away from clean energy because it is more expensive. But oil being down does not increase the supply. This is just another element that stalls the development of new methods that it is so clear we need. The greed surrounding this industry just disgusts me. That even in the face of the fact that we are reaching the end of oil people are still willing to wait on green energy just to make a little more money. I realize we live in a capitalistic society but really are the people in charge of these industries that willing to turn their backs on everyone else and are we as a society fine with letting them do it. We have a lot of responsibility as well in the situation we are in. Americans are always looking for the cheapest way around a situation usually at a much greater cost down the road. I realize in a lot of ways I'm an idealist but it bothers me to think that we (include in that whomever you want) are still not willing to do what it takes as a country to get this gone. I think it's clear that this is not just an issue for earth loving hippies anymore it's fundamental to our national security our economic position and our general quality of life (not to mention our planet, which I still care about).

No comments: